Edufundi is a non-profit organisation that provides structured in-classroom mentorship and support to teachers and leadership teams in 50 primary schools in under-resourced communities, across four provinces in South Africa. Over the past six years Edufundi has harnessed international best practice and leveraged local expertise to develop a comprehensive, SACE accredited in-school mentoring programme for teachers and school leaders in the South African context. The Programme aims to improve overall learner performance by creating a culture of excellent teaching and leadership practice. In this way, schools become self-sufficient, capable of understanding and solving their own challenges without relying on external help.
Edufundi has a team of 25 full and part-time staff. They run programmes in the Western Cape, Eastern Cape, KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng. Many team members work remotely and receive support virtually. This remote style of working requires high levels of independence and productivity within an inclusive, collaborative and accountable environment.
Based in Cape Town, Edufundi seeks to appoint a CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER (CEO)
The CEO will continue to grow Edufundi as a sustainable, well-run and relevant organisation that continues to provide high quality support to schools across South Africa. The role has special responsibilities that include: setting the strategy for the organisation, building solid relationships with stakeholders, operating with integrity and transparency and ensuring longevity through income generation. The role of the CEO is to focus on external relations and on growing the organisation to fulfil the core mandate of Edufundi; to lead an engaged and active team and take responsibility for the accountable performance of team members; and to be a sought-after provider of quality educational mentorship and capacity building to teachers and school leaders in primary schools, so that all our children have a love of learning, a thirst for knowledge and are well prepared to achieve their full potential.
Key responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Strategic Leadership: Leading the development and implementation of the strategy to ensure that the programmes are proactive in the context of an ever-changing landscape and are well executed and in line with Edufundi’s mission to improve impact in teaching and learning across the schools we support. Being willing to adapt and be reflective in order to ensure that programmes remain relevant in the current context. Providing the board of directors with regular feedback on the organisation’s progress.
- Leadership:Leading the organisation and its employees so that it can reach its programmatic targets, and managing the team according to the vision, objectives and functions of the organisation. Upholding and modelling the core values of the organisation. Being responsible for building relationships within the team, for hiring team members and for taking disciplinary action when necessary.
- Communications: work with a small communications team of external consultants to develop the communication strategy and assist in its implementation where necessary, in order to maintain a solid and creative presence on social media, and an effective website.
- Fundraising and Resource Planning: Continuing to nurture and sustain strong and respectful donor relationships with all stakeholders. Identifying and pursuing new potential donors and income streams to ensure that the organisation remains well-funded, financially secure and sustainable. Planning ahead for at least two years.
- Risk management and accountability: Creating and managing the organisation’s budget and finances effectively, and working with a creditable financial services provider. Ensuring that financial and capital resources are efficiently and honestly managed and that there is transparency at every level.
- Partnerships and stakeholders: Maintaining and strengthening Edufundi’s profile, reputation, and relationships with key stakeholders.
- Governance: Ensuring that Edufundi has an effective Board and complies with legislation and best practice as required by its Constitution and the Independent Code of Good Governance.
- Monitoring, Evaluation & Reporting: Using data provided by Edufundi’s monitoring and evaluation processes to reflect on the quality, outcomes and impact of the organisation’s work and adapt the programme as and when needed to ensure that it remains relevant and strong.
- Public Representation: Representing the organisation and marketing it to a wide variety of beneficiaries, associates, professionals, stakeholders and other interested parties. Presenting Edufundi as a highly professional organisation. Engaging with similar organisations in the field as well as media organisations.
- People: Continuing to nurture existing relationships amongst the team and building a diverse, competent and empowered team who remain deeply committed to Edufundi’s mission, vision and values.
The CEO must meet the following criteria:
- A relevant post-graduate qualification, e.g. Education, Development Studies, Business Administration, etc.
- 7 or more years’ experience of working in the non-profit, development or education sectors of which at least 3 to 4 years are in a senior management post – preferably in running an organisation or a large programme.
- Ability to build the organisation’s vision and plans with the staff, stakeholders and board, and convey these clearly, and convincingly, to potential partners and donors.
- Previous experience of fundraising and understanding of the South African donor, CSI and philanthropic landscape.
- Strong partner relationship building skills, especially with Government.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A love of learning and teaching. A passion for enlivening the minds of young people – a background in education would be an advantage.
- Strategic financial management experience, including budget development, analysis and decision making.
- Solid experience in leading and implementing transformational organisational change and a track record of leadership that motivates, empowers and is inclusive.
- Comfortable with new forms of technology.
- Excellent English language skills and knowledge of other African languages is advantageous. Preference will be given to South African candidates as defined in the B-BBEE Act.
- Ability to work well in a small team, and to manage others with sensitivity and assurance.
- A driver’s licence with own transport.
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Tuesday 31st May 2022 to email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org