Funding Matters came into being in 2013 as a result of the recognition of the growing need for fundraising and donor stewardship, in order for nonprofit organisations (NPO) to continue to provide their much-needed interventions. Many nonprofit and community-based organisations (CBO) providing essential services are being forced to scale or close down, due to funding shortages. A critical factor identified by the dedicated and committed people who are running these organisations, is that they struggle to keep up with the increasing demands of raising sufficient funds to secure their sustainability and have expressed an urgent need for direct assistance and skills development in fundraising and related areas of governance.
South African NPOs and CBOs are financially stable, accountable and sustainable organisations.
Funding Matters provides practical assistance and training in NPO governance, and in particular, in all aspects of fundraising, to time-constrained and/or insufficiently skilled NPO management and workers.
The following services are provided by Funding Matters:
Funding for Proposal Development:
- Project funding proposals;
- Letters of enquiry;
- Edit proposals and funding applications.
- Completing funding applications
- Corporate Social Investment;
- Foundations and Trusts.
Source Potential Funders
- In-depth research of potential funders:
- Confirm areas of funding focus:
- Format of communication (letter of enquiry, proposal or application form);
- Supporting documentation requirements;
- When proposals are accepted (deadlines, calls for proposals, or open calls).
- Assess the current funding situation of the organisation;
- Analyse trends and identify new sources of income, also focusing on current successful sources;
- Recommend an action plan to improve access to funding.
Fundraising and Marketing Strategy Plan
- Develop a comprehensive, multi – year funding strategy, supported by marketing interventions
- Organisational SWOT analysis;
- Utilising the funding audit and trend analysis to inform the fundraising element of the plan;
- Designing the marketing and communications components of the overall plan;
- Exploring risk mitigation opportunities and establishing a mechanism to regularly review and refine the plan.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Assistance with monitoring and evaluation;
- Writing of progress and final donor reports.
Training and Continued Support
- How to set up and maintain an effective donor management system;
- How to write a winning funding proposal;
- How to undertake donor research;
- How to maintain good donor relations through stewardship;
- Monitoring, evaluation and report writing.
Funding Matters therefore provides the much-needed skills training and support that NPOs require to be able to develop sustainable strategies and fundraising capacity, to continue to provide essential services to their beneficiaries.
To view Funding Matters in the Prodder NGO Directory, click here.